Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Setting the right resolution for your Ubuntu 8.04


Bookmark and Share



I have just installed an Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron and I noticed that I cannot modify the resolution of my screen since there is only one resolution available and its just so large that some parts of some of the application window I cannot be seen or accessed.

If you happen to be in the same problem with me right now, this is how to solve it:

  1. Press Control-Alt-F1 to login into a text-mode terminal

  2. Stop the GNOME Display Manager(gdm):
    # sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

  3. Reconfigure your screen resolution:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

  4. Start the GNOME Display Manager back again:
    # sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

  5. Then go back to your X-Window by pressing Control-Alt-F7



And thats it! Hope this helps.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment